Whether it’s a broken pool pump or cloudy water, pool problems can put an unexpected stop to your fun.
While prevention is often achievable through proper maintenance, you also need to know how to identify developing issues and resolve them. In this article, we’ll guide you through the most common swimming pool problems and how to solve them.
5 common swimming pool problems:
- Algae growth: Algae can cause pool water to become discolored and unappealing. These algae growths usually occur when chlorine has dipped below the recommended levels. To fix this issue, first test your water to confirm the problem. Then, shock the water to get rid of the algae, finishing by vacuuming and cleaning the pool internal surfaces to get rid of any last bits of algae.
- Dirty pool filter: Repeated use of the pool filter can lead to it becoming clogged or dirty, resulting in less effective operation. This will then impede the filter’s ability to clean the pool water thoroughly. Make sure you or your chosen pool maintenance specialist are cleaning the filter regularly, particularly if it’s during fall and lots of leaves or debris are falling into the pool.
- Cloudy pool water: A cloudy pool not only looks unpleasant, but it can also cause illness or skin and eye irritation in swimmers, making it a health hazard. Cloudy water primarily results from bacteria build-up in the pool. The first step will be to test your pool water to identify if the cause is chemical. From these results, add what your pool is lacking to ensure the bacteria build-up is dealt with. You might also want to consider using a pool cover to prevent debris and leaves from dropping into the water. Another potential cause is a clogged filter, so see the point above for the resolution.
- Incorrect pool pH levels: Your pool testing kit will come in handy again for this. If your pool pH is outside of optimum levels, it can affect its sanitization as well as potentially irritate the skin and eyes of users. Depending on the pH levels, you or your chosen pool professional will need to add chemicals to adjust the pH to the required and safe levels.
- Pool leaks: Has your pool level declined? Or maybe you’ve identified a crack in the structure? You’ll need to first pinpoint the source of the leak, as leaving it unaddressed can lead to high water bills and other headaches. If you’re unsure where it is, it might be time to get a professional on board who can do this for you. Once identified, a fix will be suggested, whether that be replacing the pool liner or repairing the filtration system.
Pool maintenance and repairs by Miller Pools
The best way to prevent pool problems is to stick to a regular maintenance schedule. The easiest way to do this is to employ the services of a pool maintenance company, who can provide all the weekly checks and tasks on your behalf. This saves you both time and effort, while also staying on top of any developing problems.
Here at Miller Pools, we provide reliable pool maintenance services and swimming pool repairs to homes across Pasadena, Texas, and beyond. With our regular, comprehensive services and packages, your pool stays in the best condition – so you can enjoy a fun and fully functional pool all year round.