Nobody wants to swim in dirty, cloudy pool water. Not only is it off-putting, it could also be dangerous to the health of swimmers.
Luckily, it’s easy to keep your water crystal clear thanks to a proper swimming pool maintenance schedule. In this article, we’ll guide you through some easy maintenance tips to keep your pool water clean and clear, all year round.
Why is a clean pool important?
There are a few reasons why a clean pool should be at the top of your list:
- More attractive to swimmers: Swimming in a murky pool is not particularly inviting for friends, family, and visitors. If it’s particularly bad, it might put people off from even dipping a toe in!
- Important for health: If left unmaintained, swimming pools can become a breeding ground for bacteria and algae which can be harmful to swimmers, irritating the eyes and skin, or causing sickness if ingested. Cleaning the pool regularly therefore keeps everyone healthy and safe.
- Improves the pool’s longevity: Believe it or not, pools with high levels of contaminants could cause damage to the internal structures of the pool, or even corrode certain elements. By caring for your pool properly, you can enjoy a beautiful pool for longer, and may even sidestep the need for as many repairs.
So how can you achieve a sparkling clean pool?
How to clear pool water
If you’re wondering how to make your pool water clear, the answer is to establish a regular maintenance schedule – this is a necessity of pool ownership and will bypass the need for more extensive corrective action further down the line.
- A quick fix: Perhaps your pool water is already cloudy? In which case, the quick fix is usually to purchase a pool clarifier, which acts by clumping dirt together. This then rises to the surface of the water, helping the filter to clear it out more easily, although this might take a few days. Another option is to use a pool flocculant, which works by bringing contaminants together into heavier clumps, which then fall to the bottom of the pool. These will then need to be vacuumed up.
- Clean and check filters: To prevent cloudy pool water from becoming a problem again, you need to make sure you’re on top of your pool maintenance schedule. This includes regular cleaning and checking your pool filters and skimmer baskets to ensure they are doing an efficient and thorough job, ideally on a weekly basis. It’s also worth making sure that your filter is left switched on for long enough to filter the entire pool, which can take up to 12 hours.
- Skim the surface: Skim the surface of your pool regularly, as leaves and debris can collect there if left untouched for too long. Likewise, brushing and vacuuming the walls for grime buildup should also be part of your routine. Once or twice a week is advised for this.
- Test the waters: Another reason why you may be experiencing repeated problems with cloudy pool water could be due to unbalanced pool chemicals or even an overabundance of rain. Pool quality relies heavily on the right balance of chemicals, so it’s imperative to keep on top of this. Testing your pool water, and then adjusting chemicals based on your findings, should therefore be part of your weekly routine.
- Shocking the pool: Following on from the above tip, shocking your pool should be carried out once a week. Shocking simply means to add chemicals to the pool to prevent bacteria and algae growth. This process increases the free chlorine in your water, helping to keep it clean and hygienic.
Don’t have the time or energy to take care of pool maintenance yourself? Simply make arrangements with a trustworthy swimming pool maintenance company, such as Miller Pools, to do this for you professionally and reliably.
Weekly pool maintenance in Pasadena, TX
Not everyone can keep on top of their pool maintenance – so why not get a professional to take care of it for you?
Here at Miller Pools, we provide a high-quality weekly pool maintenance service to keep your water clear, healthy, and attractive all year round. Let us handle every aspect of pool maintenance so you can just kick back and relax, wherever you are in Pasadena, Texas.
Miller Pools is a top-rated pool company for our local area. We provide remodeling, maintenance, and products so you always have a pool to be proud of. Just get in touch to discover how we can help you.